Your mattress is probably one of the most important purchases that you will get in your life. In this fast-paced world though, we often overlook its importance because we are too busy with our daily lives. This should never be the case because as we all know sleep is a big parameter that affects our over-all health.
Just like what we have mentioned, buying the correct mattress for you is important because it can spell the difference between good and bad quality of sleep. So, if you are planning to buy a new one for your home, then continue reading this article first because today, we will be listing some science-backed tips to help you pick the best mattress for you.
Before we tackle our list, we will first talk about some of the most important questions that you need to ask yourself before buying:
- What do I want about the mattress that I currently own?
- What are the things that I do not want about the mattress that I currently own?
- Do I have a medical condition that I need to consider?
- Am I highly allergic to any material?
- What is my budget for this?
- What does my partner prefer?
These are just some of the things that you need to answer to ensure that you will be able to get the best mattress for you.
Another thing you need to look into is your position during sleep. For this, here are some of the tips that may help you to decide:
- If you sleep on your back, then you need a mattress with a surface that can support the natural alignment of your spine. According to reports, the best one for you is a medium firm mattress.
- For those who sleep on their side, your mattress should be able to support your lumbar and waist region. Medium firm mattresses are also ideal for you.
- For stomach sleepers, the firmer ones are better to prevent back and neck pain.
Now, we will be tackling some other science-backed tips to help you in choosing the best mattress:
- Experts’ advice is that you change your mattress every eight years. This will depend of course on many factors, but that is the usual timeframe. Also, remember that when you change your mattress, you should also look into your box spring as well if you also need to change it.
- It is all about finding what is best for you. For example, if you feel that you sleep the best in a mattress that has medium firmness, then go with that. It will all depend on comfortability and preference.
- According to a report, if you want to go home happy with your purchase, you need to spend around 20 minutes before buying a mattress. Try it first before making your final decision.
- Choose a mattress that can follow the natural curve of your spine. It is also important that you choose something that can distribute the pressure evenly all throughout your body.
- You should avoid a sagging mattress as much as possible. This is especially true for those who are suffering from chronic back pain.
- Do not buy a mattress just because of its brand name. Not because a product is expensive, it is automatically a good one already. Well, yes, the quality is probably good, but there is a chance that the product is not fit for your needs.
These are just some of the things that you need to bear in mind when buying a mattress. Just use the tips we have listed for you and see for yourself how helpful they can be.